Thursday, June 4, 2009

First 14er

View from our drive.
You can see the dark clouds that was our storm when we got to the top.
Harrison & Adam at the top. Yep, it was snowing!

Before the recent "bump in the road," we made a trip up to Mount Evans. It is a 14,000 ft mountain here in Colorado that has the highest paved road in North America. You can drive to the top. Driving to the top of it was on our list to do when we found out we were leaving Colorado. I never hiked to the top of a 14er, so I thought driving sounded like a great alternative. However, driving on a two-lane road that is more like a lane and a half at that altitude can be very frightening. There was a point when I was driving when all I could see was a small portion of the road. We were going around corners, where just over the side was straight down. I'm not sure I can accurately describe the fear of driving off the side of a mountain at any given moment. Anyway, Adam's mom, Harrison, Adam, and I all experienced our first 14er together. When we got to the top, a ranger rolled down his window and told us that the safest place for us to be was in our car because there was a high risk for lightening strikes. Ugh... it didn't take me long to get back in the car. So, we got to the top and didn't take many pictures because there was a storm, and frankly, we didn't want to get struck by lightening.

No comments: