Sunday, April 17, 2011

Some Thoughts...I know, go figure




First of all, this boy has stolen my heart in a way that I did not know existed. I was unsure if I could love another child as much as I love Harrison. Take heart moms expecting your second...you can and it is rather unbelievable.

So, about a week ago, our family was out to dinner at one of our favorite sit-down restaurants. For the most part, there are only old folks there as that is the demographic we reside in for the time being. Anyway, as we were leaving, a couple pulled us aside and said to me "You have done such a great job with your kids. They may be the most well-behaved kids I have ever seen. Your older son was superb and acted like a grown boy." As we said thanks, another couple close by said, "We agree. Great Job." I'm not writing this to brag. I'm writing this to tell you how blessed we were by this. Adam and I got in the car and pretty much immediately praised the Lord for 1) giving us great kids and 2) for guidance in parenting. And since then, I've been thinking a lot about this. I've been thinking a lot about why this made my day. I've been thinking a lot about my own insecurities as a parent. When I found out I was pregnant with Harrison, I laughed for about nine months while I thought about being a mother. When I was pregnant, I had serious doubts about my ability to be a "good" mother and truly what it meant to be a "good" mother. And while your pregnant, it is so nice to hear compliments like, "you looks great. I can't believe you are about to have baby," I remember one person telling me, "Mandy, you are going to be such a great mom." Oh my...I remember wanting to cry. At that point, that was the best compliment I could hear (and receive). I chose to receive it. I believed that the Lord had created me to be a mom for the first time.

It is hard to articulate that calling on your life. I mean, to be a mom, is one of the most rewarding yet challenging things one can do. It is a crazy feeling that a child (or baby) that drives you crazy, you also would take a bullet for. It is just so bizarre. But we do our best. I know there are some crazies out there, but for the most part, moms are doing their best. I am doing my best. Sure, there are times and things that I'm not proud of as a mom, but I believe that goes for all of us in all aspects of our lives. Adam and I lose sleep over our kids. We pray for our kids more than we do for anything else. It is just crazy, what children do to you. I know it sounds like I'm rambling. I am. All of this to say...tell your mom that you are thankful for what she did for you (mom, thanks for loving me unconditionally). Tell someone who is about to become a mom that you think they are going to be great. It truly is a huge blessing.

1 comment:

Clay and Julie said...

so so encouraging. I feel inadequate everyday to love this little bean growing inside me. now- how can we remove the two states between us so our kids can be best friends??

miss you manders!
IA